What happens in the Theory Test?
This is a 50 question multiple choice test. To pass you must answer 43 or more questions correctly within 57 minutes. Questions are chosen at random from a bank of over 1,000 questions, and you answer by touching the screen. During the test you have the option to skip questions and return to them later.
What is the Hazard Perception Test?
This is the second part of the driving theory test and is taken a few minutes after completing the multiple choice questions. It contains a series of 14 one-minute video clips showing potential road hazards. You have to identify 15 developing hazards (one clip has two hazards). The faster you identify them, the higher you score. You need to score at least 44 out of 75 to pass this test (each hazard has a maximum of 5 points) and you have 20 minutes to do it in. You can't repeat any of the clips – the idea is that on the road you don't get a second chance with hazards.
· Don't take it before you're ready – ask your instructor for advice on when you should apply.
· Don't just rely on your lessons. Study the 'Highway Code', and 'The Official DSA Theory Test' book (it contains all the questions in the tests).
· Practice the Hazard Perception using either a DVD or a Smartphone App.
· On the day of the test bring your provisional driving licence and confirmation letter. If you don't bring these, your test will be cancelled.
· Leave time at the end of the theory test to check your answers in case you've hit the wrong choice by accident.
How much does it cost?
The current fee to take the test is £23.00 which covers the cost of the Theory Questions and Hazard Test. To cancel you must give three clear working days' notice or you'll lose your fee.
What happens if I pass?
You will get your pass certificate, which lasts two years. This means you have a two-year period in which to take and pass your practical test. If you don't do it within this period you have to take the theory and hazard tests again.
What happens if I fail?
Study some more, then take the test again. About 37% of people fail the theory test first time. The most common reasons are forgetting the rules of the road, and not bringing the right documentation.
Driving Test Success 4 app bundle contains everything you need to pass your Theory Test
- THEORY TEST - Contains the most up-to-date official Theory Test revision questions, answers and explanations from the DVSA – the people who set the tests.
- HAZARD PERCEPTION – Practise 75 high quality and fully interactive hazard perception video clips.
- MOCK TESTS - Sit unlimited mock Theory and Hazard Perception Tests that are structured just like the official test.
- HIGHWAY CODE – read the latest rules and regulations of The Highway Code
- ROAD SIGNS - Learn all the UK road signs and markings.
- BRAKING DISTANCE SIMULATOR – Perfect for helping you learn and visualise the overall braking distances at varying speeds and road conditions.
- PROGRESS MONITOR - Keep a track of how well you’re doing so you know when you’re test ready.